Gitea not starting (via supervisor) after updating from 1.6.4 to 1.7.0

A few weeks ago I installed Gitea on a Debian 8 server, following the install instructions and opting for supervisor control. Everything was fine and I’ve been using Gitea since then with no problems.

Yesterday I decided to update to v.1.7.0, so I downloaded the new binary and linked it as gitea (I use “ln -s” to make a quick change to new files, while keeping the old ones).

The thing is, I cannot start the new version via supervisorctl:
supervisorctl start gitea
gitea: ERROR (abnormal termination)

All permissions are set to git:git

app.ini ets run user to git:
RUN_USER = git

stderr.log shows:
...s/setting/setting.go:1029 NewContext()] [E] Expect user 'git' but current user is: root

If I go back to v.1.6.4, the same configuration runs without errors.

I’m lost, any idea on how to solve this issue? Thanks!

I have the same problem… I upgrade from 1.5.0 to 1.7.0 on CentOS 7 by download the new binary and relink my symlink. The binary don’t want to start.

I did a successful upgrade from 1.5.0. to 1.7.0 with a not used/clean database/gitea version.

panic: interface conversion: interface {} is float64, not bool

goroutine 1 [running]:
code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations.addPullRequestRebaseWithMerge(0xc000595e10, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations/v76.go:44 +0x6e9
code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations.(*migration).Migrate(0xc000371d00, 0xc000595e10, 0xc0005b7650, 0x1)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations/migrations.go:53 +0x34
code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations.Migrate(0xc000595e10, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/models/migrations/migrations.go:247 +0x368
code.gitea.io/gitea/models.NewEngine(0x17fecd0, 0xc, 0xc0005b7788)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/models/models.go:302 +0x70
code.gitea.io/gitea/routers.GlobalInit()
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/routers/init.go:60 +0x51a
code.gitea.io/gitea/cmd.runWeb(0xc000101540, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/cmd/web.go:121 +0xaa
code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli.HandleAction(0x15a61a0, 0x17feb90, 0xc000101540, 0xc000163200, 0x0)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:471 +0xad
code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli.Command.Run(0x1780ec7, 0x3, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x17a9747, 0x16, 0x0, ...)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli/command.go:191 +0x96d
code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli.(*App).Run(0xc0001f31e0, 0xc00000c080, 0x2, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/vendor/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:241 +0x5a2
main.main()
	/go/src/code.gitea.io/gitea/main.go:56 +0x42f

Any thoughts?

Upgrade to Gitea 1.6.4 works fine but to 1.7.0 not

This looks like not a Gitea issue, but try to turn on setgid and setuid permissions for the binary.

You’re right, I investigated the issue and found it was a supervisor configuration error: I was running supervisorctl as root (unsafe habit, I know), to quickly solve a permission issue with the supervisor socket.

I found that Gitea checks the running user at line 1039 in setting.go:

If the running user is different from the RUN_USER = git defined in the Security section in app.ini.conf, Gitea exits via log.Fatal()

As I was running supervisorctl as root, Gitea found the inconsistence and correctly exited.

I solved the issue by reconfiguring supervisor, following this post:

Gitea 1.7.0 must have changed something (again, that’s correctly done from a security PoV), because I didn’t have this error with v.1.6.4.

@ruliezz
I don’t know if the above helps to solve your issue, I’m sorry I cannot reproduce it here, but I suggest to check the permissions, as hinted by @elfuego

I have this issue too, and tried the supervisor reconfiguration, added my git user to the supervisor group, change the permission in the supervisor’s config to 0770 and added the chown=root:supervisor

but gitea 1.7.1 (nor 1.7.0) is still failing to start. In supervisor.log:

2019-02-03 09:45:43,526 INFO exited: gitea (exit status 1; not expected)
2019-02-03 09:45:44,528 INFO gave up: gitea entered FATAL state, too many start retries too quickly

1.6.3 is fine

EDIT: I’ve tried the setuid/setgid permission as well

@Geobomatic
What’s in supervisor-gitea-stderr.log?

You can find the specific gitea error there. Mine was:

2019/01/25 12:48:21 …s/setting/setting.go:1029 NewContext()] [E] Expect user ‘git’ but current user is: root

Eventually I found there was a missing definition in my /etc/supervisor/conf.d/gitea.conf:

[program:gitea]

user=git ;<-- This is needed! Without it, supervisor runs gitea as root, not git

environment = HOME="/home/git", USER=“git” ;<-- this defines enviroment’s variables only!
directory=/home/git/ ;<-- I changed homedir, yours could be different
command=/home/git/gitea web
autostart=true
autorestart=true
startsecs=10
stdout_logfile=/home/git/log/supervisor-gitea-stdout.log
stdout_logfile_maxbytes=1MB
stdout_logfile_backups=10
stdout_capture_maxbytes=1MB
stdout_logfile=/home/git/log/supervisor-gitea-stderr.log
stderr_logfile_maxbytes=1MB
stderr_logfile_backups=10
stderr_capture_maxbytes=1MB

Hope the above helps :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer!

my supervisor config for gitea:

[program:gitea]
directory=/home/git/
command=/home/git/gitea web
autostart=true
autorestart=true
startsecs=10
stdout_logfile=/var/log/gitea/stdout.log
stdout_logfile_maxbytes=1MB
stdout_logfile_backups=10
stdout_capture_maxbytes=1MB
stderr_logfile=/var/log/gitea/stderr.log
stderr_logfile_maxbytes=1MB
stderr_logfile_backups=10
stderr_capture_maxbytes=1MB
environment = HOME="/home/git", USER="git"
user = git

I found in /var/log/gitea/stdout.log:

2019/02/03 12:22:13 [...s/setting/setting.go:1029 NewContext()] [E] Expect user 'git' but current user is: root

But now, after server reboot, neither 1.6.3 nor 1.7.1 are starting anymore and without this error, no error printed this time :-/

EDIT: with user=git none start, without it, 1.6 starts but 1.7 still not start, I’m missing something in my permissions

Your configuration looks exactly like mine, and you get the same error as i did: supervisor runs gitea as “root”, and gitea stops because it needs to be run as “git”.

Please try removing the spaces in your gitea.conf arond the “=”, it’s the only difference I can see, please try:

environment = HOME="/home/git", USER=“git”
user=git

In neither this functions, we need to check the single permissions between your files and mine…

I tried with no chance.

my permission on gitea:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 git  supervisor 62167024 Feb  3 16:05 gitea

on supervisor.sock:

srwxrwx---  1 root supervisor    0 Feb  3 16:06 supervisor.sock

Got it! As it was running as root before, all the files in the working dir were root:root, I’ve chown -R git:git my whole ~git dir and it works now!

Thank you for the inspiration!

Well done! :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention it, I think I had the same problem at some point, and gave exactly the same command, chown -R git:git /home/git

I’m happy you solved it, let’s hope this can be useful to some other users with the same problem.

Bye!

Thanks, for you understanding I am not using supervisor but just the binary. I have tried to run is as git instead of gitea but still it complains about:

panic: interface conversion: interface {} is float64, not bool