Ui not working on new install

most likely a very simple issue but I’m wracking my brain trying to figure this out. I have just installed Gitea for the first time and I can’t get the ui to function. I am seeing template variables on the page and none of the drop-downs work.

Install info:

• mariaDB running on different host (connection is tested and admin user created via CLI)
  • gitea running in docker on a RaspberryPi cluster controlled by Nomad
  • Reverse proxy is Traefik v2.1

Screenshot of what I’m seeing

config file

APP_NAME = natelandau git
RUN_MODE = prod
RUN_USER = git

[repository]
ROOT = /data/git/repositories

[repository.local]
LOCAL_COPY_PATH = /data/gitea/tmp/local-repo

[repository.upload]
TEMP_PATH = /data/gitea/uploads

[server]
APP_DATA_PATH    = /data/gitea
SSH_DOMAIN       = localhost
HTTP_PORT        = 3000
ROOT_URL         = http://git.[redacted].com/
DISABLE_SSH      = false
SSH_PORT         = 22
SSH_LISTEN_PORT  = 22
LFS_START_SERVER = true
LFS_CONTENT_PATH = /data/git/lfs
DOMAIN           = git.[redacted].com
LFS_JWT_SECRET   = 3dJI1uDftPI1ARYiPbGUboXacRBbM_cUPvaWm3TO0cA
OFFLINE_MODE     = false

[database]
PATH     = /data/gitea/gitea.db
DB_TYPE  = mysql
HOST     = mariaDB.service.consul:3306
NAME     = giteadb
USER     = gitea
PASSWD   = [redacted]
SSL_MODE = disable
CHARSET  = utf8

[indexer]
ISSUE_INDEXER_PATH = /data/gitea/indexers/issues.bleve

[session]
PROVIDER_CONFIG = /data/gitea/sessions
PROVIDER        = file

Looks like JS/CSS aren’t loading. In your screenshot you access it with an IP, but the config has domains set. Do those actually resolve? If not, I think that may be the issue.

yeah. they resolve. see the same thing from that url. gonna play with the domains/IPs and see if that gets it going. thanks for pointing me in a direction.

okay. the plot thickens. you were correct that certain files were not loading but it appears to be inconsistent.

these load fine:

/vendor/plugins/codemirror/addon/mode/loadmode.js
/serviceworker.js

while these give a 404

/js/index.js
/js/gitgraph.js
/css/index.css

I’m unclear on why certain directories will resolve in the browser while others won’t when they are all relative paths…is it possible something went wrong when the docker container is built?

That could be. The first three are all pre-compiled so to speak, whereas the latter three are built by less/webpack, so they may not actually exist if they were never built.

I thought our docker images would have those files, though…
Are you using one of our images or other?

unfortunately, I need a build for Arm7. the Arm64 tags of the official docker didn’t work on my raspberry pis. I turned to this image: https://hub.docker.com/r/kunde21/gitea-arm which had >500k pulls. Now that I know the files that are 404ing are built on the fly rather than included as static files it is all making sense. back to the drawing board to find a compatible docker image.

thanks for the help.

1 Like

and, in case anyone else has this same issue and finds this thread, I switched to this docker image for Armv7 and it works like a charm

https://hub.docker.com/r/mephistoxol/gitea

1 Like