Ssh not working in centos

Hello,
I have managed to install gitea to a CentOs linux instance and also configured nginx to serve the site through a url. I am able to clone a url via http, but not via ssh.
The server uses a different port than 22 for connecting to linux and I use that port as SSH_PORT in the app.ini file. I also made sure the ssh url ssh://git@domain.name.com:/root/TestRepository.git uses the correct port and domain names.
I am able to pull/push and raise PR and merge using http push. But unable to connect via ssh. Do you have any idea why it won’t work?
I have a doubt if I have to use a different port and use the built in ssh server in linux? Is this right?
I also noticed that when the clone ssh command is run in command line, it asks for the linux user’s password… So does it mean I should run embedded ssh server for gitea?

Encountered a similar issue, although i use the standard port 22. Meaning I am not replying on a probable cause for this specific configuration. just sharing a my cause. :grinning:

My issue was the home directory of the user running of gitea and the Root Path / Working Dir (where gitea stores ssh keys) did not match. As admin user in gitea in Site Administration > Configuration the admin panel look for the Root Path in section “SSH Configuration”.

check the home directory of the user running gitea

eval echo "~your_gitea_run_user"

if there is a mismatch, set the home dir to your working dir

usermod -d /your_working_dir your_gitea_run_user

1 Like

Hmm, my configuration has the following
gitea username: git
ssh Root Path: /home/git/.ssh
home directory of git : /home/git
git user has rw permissions on this folder

This is oke, so your issue is not the one i faced :worried:

btw : my url for ssh (translated to your example) is simply

git@domain.name.com:/root/TestRepository.git

and if you are really using “root” is ssh for root access enabled? (normally it is on centos)

EDIT: did you think about opening the port in firewald, if it is running…?

1 Like

lol, if you ask me about firewalld, that was the first thing I messed up. The ssh port was different in the instance and it was not pre-installed/configured with firewalld. So the first thing I did was to enable firewalld and lose access!! Anyways the hosting company helped me in restoring and things are fine.
So yes, the firewall has the tcp/udp ports open for ssh port and also http.
I can’t get what you mean by " if you are really using “root” is ssh for root access enabled? (normally it is on centos)"
I login to the terminal with ssh using root user. I have created a user named git without password and made it the owner of the gitea home etc., So now my problem is it is asking for the password of a user for which I don’t have one…

Did you check for problems with SELinux? On CentOS, it’s enforcing by default.

1 Like

been there, done this (it’s quite embarrassing)

So you are good, other distro’s and some vps providers are very picky on ssh in as root

this is how i created the gitea run user (translated to your setup):

useradd -r -s /bin/bash \
-d  /home/git \
-c "Gitea git account"  git

and the key you have uploaded for root using the web-gui can be found in:
cat /home/git/.ssh/authorized_keys ?

1 Like

yes, that was exactly I created the user too.

And the /home/git/.ssh/authorized_keys displays the key I added for ssh on the web user/settings/keys SSH Key section

Sorry was busy with other stuff before getting to test your issue using a custom ssh port . :worried:

after changing the port gitea is so smart to update the ssh url correctly;
i’v changed my default sshd port on centos to 2222 and gitea gives me (translated to your example):

ssh://git@domain.name.com:2222/root/TestRepository.git