I understand the very basics of version control but I’m new to (g)it. There’s a ton of tutorials on INSTALLING Gitea but finding a tutorial on how to actually USE it is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.
I want to use Gitea for developing a website. I have a little (web) server setup and I installed Gitea on it. I’ve also installed git on my main (Linux) workstation. I’ve watched some good videos that explain what git does and what the basic commands are. But I haven’t found any tutorials that will walk a noobie like me through the practical aspects of actually USING git with Gitea, and I can’t figure out/wrap my head around…
- When I want to open index.html in git on my workstation, how is git supposed to know to get the file from Gitea on my server?
- Once it gets it from Gitea on my server, how does it know to open it in my favorite code editor?
- When I save changes to the file in my code editor, Is the file automatically updated in the repository?
- How do updated files get from the repository/database to the directory on the web server where they’ll be served from?
- Can the directory where all my source files are stored (dev branch, obviously) actually be used as the repository so changes are automatically live?
Please talk to me like I’m 2 (or 60) when explaining this stuff. Many thanks for your time and patience with an old timer.